Administrative Assistant (Africa)
Medic Mobile builds mobile and web tools for health workers, helping them provide better care that reaches everyone. Operating as a unique, nonprofit technology company, we develop free and open-source tools that can be adapted for specific uses, backed by evidence. Health workers currently use Medic Mobile to register every pregnancy, immunize infants against illnesses, track disease outbreaks faster, keep stock of essential medicines, and communicate about emergencies. Medic Mobile works with implementing partners to deploy projects that leverage mHealth to impact health from the community level upwards.
We have an opening for the following position in our Africa Regional Office, and would like to invite applications from qualified candidates.
This administrative support position is based in Kenya at Medic Mobile’s Nairobi office. The Administrative Assistant will work closely with the Accountant and will be reporting to the Africa’s Financial Administrator.
S/He has the overall responsibility of ensuring the office and administrative functions runs smoothly.
Ideally, you are proactive, detail oriented, good in planning, a strong written and verbal communicator, self-directed, committed to Medic Mobile’s mission, and excited to join a dynamic, growing team.
HR related functions:
- Coordinate recruitment process and liaise recruiting consultants, set up interviews and issue relevant correspondence
- Administer HR-related documentation, such as contracts of employment and compilation of new staff HR files
- Organize orientation of new staff
- Administer employee health, welfare and retirement plans, and any other programs by advising employees of eligibility; providing application information; helping with form completion; verifying submission; notifying employees of approvals
- Manage staff leave records
- Be the first point of contact for all HR-related queries
Office and facility management:
- Coordinate various office support services, including supervising purchasing processes (office supplies,stationery, equipment) and selecting vendors
- Update and maintain office policies and procedures
- Oversee the maintenance of buildings, grounds, security and office equipment, including scheduling repairs, renovation projects and safety inspections
- Direct maintenance staff, and manage contractor and vendor relationships
- Manage and maintain equipment inventories & asset registry, filing systems & office postal mail box
- Africa Regional Calendar management, coordinating and organizing team activities below:
- Organize and coordinate bi-monthly staff meetings – compiling and sharing the agenda and taking minutes
- Coordinate team events, regional retreats, global partner meetings, seminars
- Make travel & accommodation arrangements for global staff traveling to Nairobi Office or Regional team travelling on project activities when called upon to do so
- Maintain and manage Medic’s presentations & branding collateral, in coordination with MM Communications Team
Finance related functions:
- Process payments and dispatch to suppliers
- Assist accountant in the local purchasing process for equipment & hardware
- Manage the office expenditure, petty cash budget and create summary reports for accounts
- File management of all contract related to projects
- Assist with accounting and operations duties when required
- University graduate
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience working as an Administrator
- Basic HR skill and knowledge
- Strong computer and Internet research skills
- Ability to work well with all levels of internal management and staff, as well as outside clients and vendors
- Sensitivity to confidential matters
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Organized & good at juggling tasks and prioritizing
- A great team player
- A desire to show initiative
- Excellent communication skills (writing and speaking) in English. Must be able to express thoughts and opinions clearly and concisely
- Proven ability to work independently
If this role inspires and intrigues you, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com, copying firstname.lastname@example.org with “Administrative Assistant - Africa” in the subject line. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible, as interviews will be held on a rolling basis until the role is filled. Ideal start date is in early April 2017. Only candidates that are considered will be contacted.