Our mission at Medic Mobile is to improve health in the hardest-to-reach communities. We serve this mission by designing, delivering, and supporting world-class software that helps community health workers, managers, and clinical teams work together to provide excellent care. We envision a more just world in which health workers are supported as they provide care for their neighbors, universal health coverage is a reality, and health is secured as a human right.
The tools we build are free, open-source, and deployed at scale in the last mile of healthcare. Evidence-based workflows come together in the software to support health workers and families, helping to ensure safe deliveries, track outbreaks, treat illnesses door-to-door, communicate about emergencies, and more. We have scaled to serve a network of 16,000 frontline health workers and we aim to support health workers serving 100 million people between 2017 and 2021. Medic Mobile is fortunate to work with innovative health system partners and leading funders committed to grantee-centric philanthropy.
Development Director and the Role of Philanthropy
Medic Mobile is rapidly growing our impact and it is the right time to invest in development capacity. The Development Director is a new position and will serve as a key role within the leadership team at Medic Mobile. They will drive the organization’s efforts to meet ambitious funding goals through contributions from corporate foundations, individuals, and family foundations. The Development Director will evolve our fundraising strategy, implement the strategy, and build a high-performing development team.
The Development Director will report to Medic Mobile’s Chief Executive Officer. Medic Mobile’s US office is in San Francisco, but we are focused on finding the right person for this role and we are open to the Development Director being based elsewhere.
Medic Mobile is a nonprofit organization and US 501(c)(3) public charity. Our nonprofit status allows us to stay focused on advancing global health equity, building and delivering software tools in the hardest-to-reach communities. Our philanthropic partners support product development, research, and growth at Medic Mobile, allowing us to address the most important challenges, increase our team’s capacity, build an open-source toolkit that can be reused across health systems, and continually improve our products and systems. This funding complements government funding for health systems, bilateral and multilateral aid, and other investments in health system strengthening and healthcare delivery.
Strategic Leadership (15%)
- Work with the CEO, leadership team, and board of directors to evolve the current fundraising strategy
- Implement a strategic fundraising plan to find the right funding from individuals, family foundations, corporate foundations, and government agencies
- Organize and manage a Board Fundraising Committee to maximize relationship development and fundraising output
Finding New Funding (40%)
- Identify and qualify potential foundation, corporate, and governmental funding sources
- Develop and submit compelling grant applications in coordination with finance, implementation, and product staff
- Support the implementation and research teams to submit high-quality contract and research funding proposals
Managing Existing Relationships and Grants (20%)
- Manage and co-manage relationships with foundation and corporate funders, leading to transparent and flourishing partnerships
- Develop systems and coordinate with staff to ensure all reporting and compliance requirements are met
- Coordinate site visits with funders, local partners, and regional teams
Development Team and Systems (20%)
- Structure and recruit a high-performing development team over the next 18 months
- Design and implement donor management systems and procedures to support timely and accurate execution of all fundraising activities
Financial Oversight (5%)
- Partner with the CFO to ensure accuracy of financial position and projections
- Develop and manage Medic Mobile’s annual fundraising budget
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business, international development, or other relevant discipline
- 5 years of experience in fundraising, with 3 years of management experience and clear increases in responsibility
- Experience working with foundations and corporate funders
- Experience with CRM databases
- Strong verbal and presentation skills
- Ability to work independently
- Advanced writing and editing skills
- Strong networking and interpersonal skills
- Ability to maintain flexibility and creativity within a changing environment
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline
- Experience in international development and/or global health
- Experience working with government funders and partner NGOs
- Experience with Salesforce
- Experience in marketing and communication
Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis. To apply, please send your CV, cover letter, and a writing sample email@example.com with 'Development Director' in the subject line.