Impact Lead (Africa)
Medic Mobile designs, delivers, and supports world-class software for health workers who provide care in the hardest-to-reach communities. Our software is free, open-source, and deployed at scale in the last mile of healthcare. Evidence-based workflows come together in the software to support health workers and families, helping to ensure safe deliveries, track outbreaks, treat illnesses at the doorstep, communicate about emergencies, and more. We envision a more just world in which health workers are supported as they provide care for their neighbors, universal health coverage is a reality, and health is secured as a human right.
By the end of 2017, Medic Mobile was supporting a network of more than 20,000 frontline health workers. In our next phase of growth, we are scaling through large partnerships and reaching out to health organizations with minimal resources. We aim to support health workers serving 100 million people between 2017 and 2021.
Our global team supports more than 60 partners across 23 countries, with offices in San Francisco, Nairobi, and Kathmandu. Medic Mobile brings a wide range of experience and creative solutions to complex problems, building and delivering technology that works for people who have been marginalized.
Role Description: Impact Lead (Africa)
As Africa Impact Lead, you will expand our team’s ability to understand how Medic Mobile tools are being used by health workers and the impact our programs are having in communities. You will work directly with project teams, consisting of project managers, designers, and technical leads to support our end-to-end project design and deployment process. Through this, you will identify the most important learning opportunities for our team, and focus your work to help us answer those pressing questions. You will be responsible for generating a thorough understanding of project activities and outcomes, building on our existing monitoring frameworks, and drawing from both quantitative and qualitative methods. You will guide our team in providing data-driven support to our partners.
As Africa Impact Lead, you will be a consistent champion of our organizational impact goals, keeping a focus on not only measuring, but increasing the impact in the communities we serve.
Employment Status: Full time
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Position Title: Africa Impact Lead
Reports to: Africa Design Lead
Support for project deployments (75%)
- Collaborate with project team to build an understanding of Medic’s impact model for the project. Establish appropriate metrics and support in the collection of baseline data and setting appropriate targets.
- Identify and document important learning opportunities for the project, paying attention to organizational priorities, and when more formal research would be appropriate.
- Collaborate with designers to update workflows based on our most up-to-date knowledge of challenges and successes in other deployments
- Work with project Technical Leads and Analytics team to ensure we are collecting all of the required data points to set-up desired monitoring frameworks. Support data and indicator mapping for integrating with existing National HMIS systems such as DHIS2.
- Lead on interpretation of project data, and support the project team in understanding data and metrics. Analyze trends in user engagement and impact that help us determine how the project is faring. Identify follow up questions and necessary action items for partner and Medic Mobile team.
- Conduct additional analysis to build a better understanding of project successes and challenges. Follow through on learning objectives identified in pre-launch phase.
- Support preparation for site visits, identifying key points of qualitative feedback to collect.
Act as a resource to regional teammates, helping to build a data-driven culture (15%)
- Act as a resource for teammates to discuss project activity and impact data.
- Identify areas for capacity building within teams to better promote a data-driven culture. Champion this approach, and provide in-house training on use of data to understand and improve project impact.
- Support partnerships team during proposal writing, including feedback on metrics and monitoring processes.
Contributions to global impact team (10%)
- Collaborate on complex challenges with other members of the Medic Mobile impact team, as well as other teammates working on research, analytics, design, and data science.
- Work with impact and design teams to develop impact metrics and indicators for new workflows and keep current ones up-to-date based on changing protocols.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree with a focus in public health, epidemiology or significant work experience in the global health or development space. It is essential that you have a working understanding of health service provision/ public health systems/ community health
- 4+ years relevant work experience
- Strong training and experience with numerous quantitative analysis methods, including comfort with statistics and data visualization
- Experience conducting qualitative research
- Experience in community-based field work with underserved populations or with ICT4D is a plus.
- Natural ability for sensemaking in complex problems
- Familiarity with relational databases, with at least a basic understanding of SQL
- General love of data and excitement for data-driven decision making
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Proactive work style
- Detail oriented
- Strong creative intuition
- Interest in mentoring teammates
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Swahili
- Ability to collaborate with a distributed team, under pressure and with limited supervision
- Valid passport to travel internationally
Legal work permit for Kenya required. This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya with significant regional travel, primarily in East Africa.
If this role inspires and intrigues you, please get in touch. Send an email with subject line: 'Africa Impact Lead' and a copy of your current resume along with a cover letter to email@example.com, cc’ing firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible, as interviews will be held on a rolling basis until the role is filled. The ideal start date for this position is April 2018.