Partnership and Communications Intern (Africa)
Medic Mobile builds mobile and web tools for health workers, helping them provide better care that reaches everyone. Operating as a unique, nonprofit technology company, we develop free and open-source tools that can be adapted for specific uses, backed by evidence. Health workers currently use Medic Mobile to register every pregnancy, immunize infants against illnesses, track disease outbreaks faster, keep stock of essential medicines, and communicate about emergencies. Medic Mobile works with implementing partners to deploy projects that leverage mHealth to impact health from the community level upwards. Medic Mobile has worked with over 60 partners across 23 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the US. Based in San Francisco with regional offices in Africa and Asia, our technology supports over 12,000 frontline health workers, improving health systems for over 8 million people.
Medic Mobile is growing! We have an opening for the following position, and would like to invite applications from qualified candidates.
Partnerships and Communications Intern for Africa
Our team is spread around the world and we need someone who enjoys working with a virtual team, is passionate about Medic Mobile's mission, and is excited to join a dynamic, growing team.
As a Partnerships and Communications Intern at Medic Mobile, you will work closely with the Partnership Development team to support the bringing on of new partners in Africa and managing external communications in the region. As part of a diverse team, you will also interact with the Regional Director, Project Deployment Manager, Tech Leads, and Project Managers to strengthen partner outreach, business development and proposal writing, blog writing, help managing social media channels, and assisting with showcasing Medic Mobile at mHealth and public health conferences and events.
This position reports to the Partnership and Communications Manager (Africa)
- Focus on supporting the Partnership and Communications Manager to meet Medic Mobile’s impact and partnership goals, as defined by as Africa Partnership Development Strategy
- Assist with conducting outreach to new partners, and identifying opportunities to educate new audiences about Medic Mobile’s mobile and web tools (conference and events attendance, product showcasing and partner interactions)
- Perform health systems research on countries of focus for Medic Mobile’s growth and research on mHealth ecosystem in the region
- Identify stories, prepare content and collateral for blog, print and web and act as local communications resource to colleagues, as defined by the Partnership and Communications Manager for Africa
- Provide assistance to help Medic Mobile refine and maintain M&E frameworks to document product impact
- Other duties as required, related to partnerships development and communications within the organization
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in public health, communications, public administration, non-profit management, health policy or other disciplines.
1 - 2 years work experience in global health, technology, communications or with a social enterprise focused on low-resource settings.
- Be based in Nairobi, Kenya and/or have legal work permits for Kenya
- Demonstrate ability to work independently and with a distributed team; self starter
- Have very strong oral and written communication skills, social media experience
- Be able to apply solutions-oriented approach to challenges
- Have the ability to communicate with a broad range of people, both internal and external to the organization, in a professional and ethical manner
- Be able to analyze and present information clearly
- Have superior organizational skills with high attention to detail and ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Have experience with creative writing (personal blogs, websites or articles)
- Exhibit empathy and respect for other cultures
- Be fluent in English; other language skills a plus
- Have interest in working with and learning from a globally distributed team of mHealth technology experts.
- Strong customer service orientation that establishes a good working relationship with partners, with the attitude of wanting to assist people and pass-on their knowledge and experience to others.
- Be interested in and be able to work in a multi-cultural, distributed, and internationally distributed team setting
- Have a desire to make a social impact
- Be able to travel - hold a valid passport
If this role inspires and intrigues you, please get in touch. Please submit a resume, writing sample and cover letter to email@example.com, with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Partnerships and Communications Intern - Africa” in the subject line. Applications that do not include all three items will not be considered. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible, as interviews will be held on a rolling basis until the role is filled. Ideal start date is in early April, 2017.