Project Assistant (East Africa - Uganda)
Medic Mobile builds mobile and web tools for health workers, helping them provide better care that reaches everyone. Operating as a unique, nonprofit technology company, we develop free and open-source tools that can be adapted for specific uses, backed by evidence. Health workers currently use Medic Mobile to register every pregnancy, immunize infants against illnesses, track disease outbreaks faster, keep stock of essential medicines, and communicate about emergencies. Medic Mobile works with implementing partners to deploy projects that leverage mHealth to impact health from the community level upwards. Medic Mobile has worked with over 60 partners across 23 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the US. Based in San Francisco with regional offices in Africa and Asia, our technology supports over 12,000 frontline health workers, improving health systems for over 8 million people.
Medic Mobile is growing! We have an opening for the following position, and would like to invite applications from qualified candidates.
We are looking to immediately hire a Project Assistant to provide support to a Senior Project Manager during project implementation assisting with project management functions.
Employment Status: Contract
Duration: 1 year (initial 3 months probation) renewable for all project years (5) based on performance
Location: Mbale, Uganda
Position Title: Project Assistant
Reports to: Senior Project Manager
- Work alongside stakeholders and partners, conceptualizing and planning for adaptation of Medic Mobile tools within interventions.
- Participate in project stakeholder meetings with high level MOH officials, political leaders, project staff and community level social groups
- Support project team in coordination of project activities, work plan, budgets development, status reviews, implementation, deployment and support of tools.
- Support project teams and partners in conducting high-quality design research as design is a shared core competency at Medic Mobile.
- Document and track project’s inputs, outputs, outcomes, conversations, discussions and issues in line project progress, work plans, budget through reports, organization work tools, photos, videos as required.
- Quality assurance: including assistance in testing of tools, ensuring technical issues are reported logged and responded to within acceptable timelines, as well as continuously monitor and support of the project systems and users
- Support the development of training resources including visual learning aids for end users
- Support in the production of mHealth technical documentation including product, abstracts, presentations in line with project focus.
- Perform other project related duties when called upon to do so.
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in Public Health/ Information technology/ Computer Science/Project Management or any relevant field.
- Work experience/internship in the health sector/open source software development/project management or any related field
- Good technical knowledge of /deploying and supporting users on mobile applications and systems for health.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in both English and Swahili.
- Good logical diagnostic skills and ability to exercise good judgment in the resolution of problems.
- Be committed to frequent and timely communication, both in person and online (via email, Internet Relay Chat, and other online chat applications).
- Ability to work under high pressure, meet deadlines, monitor and follow-up on pending matters with minimal supervision.
- Cultivate high levels of empathy and respect for people different than you, be a great listener and a confident facilitator.
- Flexible and able to wear many hats / take on multiple roles. Interested and able to work in a multi-cultural, and internationally distributed team setting.
- Be based in Uganda (NB: to be located in Mbale) and/or have legal work permits for Uganda. Uganda nationals will be given priority
- Be willing to extensively travel in and out of Uganda
- Be willing to strictly adhere to Medic Mobile’s and project’s code of conduct at all time
- Be abie to coordinate resources; human, financial or otherwise to achieve desired outcomes
- Have some understanding of health service provision/ public health systems/ community health
- Have strong conceptualization skills to understand programme and user needs and translate them into system design requirements
- Have good communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to pass on information clearly to users and teammates, and to grasp difficulties perceived by users.
- Have demonstrated strong support disposition that establishes a good working relationship with teams, with the attitude of assistance and transfer know-how and experience to others.
- Have demonstrated ability to work remotely, under pressure and with limited supervision
- Desire to make a social impact through innovative thinking and mobile technology.
If this role inspires and intrigues you, please get in touch. Please send an email with subject line: “Africa Region - Project Assistant” and a copy of your current resume, along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible, as interviews will be held on a rolling basis until the role is filled. Ideal start date is in early August 1, 2017.