Project Officer (Africa)
Medic Mobile designs, delivers, and supports world-class software for health workers who provide care in the hardest-to-reach communities. Our software is free, open-source, and deployed at scale in the last mile of healthcare. Evidence-based workflows come together in the software to support health workers and families, helping to ensure safe deliveries, track outbreaks, treat illnesses at the doorstep, communicate about emergencies, and more. We envision a more just world in which health workers are supported as they provide care for their neighbors, universal health coverage is a reality, and health is secured as a human right.
By the end of 2018, Medic Mobile will be supporting a network of more than 20,000 frontline health workers. In our next phase of growth, we are scaling through large partnerships and reaching out to health organizations with minimal resources. We aim to support health workers serving 100 million people between 2017 and 2021.
Our global team supports more than 60 partners across 23 countries, with offices in San Francisco, Nairobi, and Kathmandu. Medic Mobile brings a wide range of experience and creative solutions to complex problems, building and delivering technology that works for people who have been marginalized. We are searching for a Project Officer to contribute to our team, mission, and impact, for the 12-month term (subject to extension).
- Employment Status: Full time
- Location: Nairobi, Kenya
- Position Title: Project Officer (Africa)
- Report to: Senior Project Manager
This role provides project management support during the entire project implementation period and will report to an allocated Senior Project Manager. Role responsibilities would include:
- Participate in project stakeholder meetings with partners, MOH officials, political leaders, project staff and community level social groups.
- Support in collecting and collating deployment logistics and facilitation details that will inform budgeting, work plan and scope of work development
- Manage assigned project activities’ timelines in line with agreed overall project work plan; communicate and manage delays and expectations respectively in a professional and timely manner.
- Effectively use and update project management systems to manage communication and coordinate across project teams.
- Plan and coordinate logistics and resources on assigned project activities; human, financial or otherwise to achieve desired outcomes within budget and timelines.
Tool design and improvement:
- Support project teams and partners in conducting high-quality design research as design is a shared core competency at Medic Mobile
- Document and track project’s inputs, outputs, outcomes, conversations, discussions and issues in line project progress, work plans, budget reports, organization work tools, photos, videos as required
- Support in the conceptualization of program and user needs/ stories and support in translating them into system design requirements.
Quality assurance and system monitoring:
- In collaboration with project team lead in testing of tools, ensuring technical issues are reported logged and responded to within acceptable timelines.
- Lead in the development of standardized training resources including visual learning aids, job aids and training content.
- Continuously engage partner and users to draw feedback on the tool offering and innovatively iterate on the challenges.
Project Documentation and Reports:
- Develop project and activity reports as required and disseminate to respective stakeholders
- Contribute in the development of technical documentation such as abstracts, publications, proposals on a needs basis
- Candidates must have legal work permit or authorization to work in Kenya
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in Public Health/ Information technology / Computer Science / Project Management
- At least 2-year work experience in the health sector/open source software development / project management or any related field
- Good technical knowledge of / deploying and supporting users on mobile applications and systems for health
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English
- Good logical diagnostic skills and ability to exercise good judgment in the resolution of problems
- Be committed to frequent and timely communication, both in person and online (via email, Internet Relay Chat, and other online chat applications)
- Ability to work under high pressure, meet deadlines, monitor and follow-up on pending matters with minimal supervision
- Cultivate high levels of empathy and respect for people different than you, be a great listener and a confident facilitator
- Flexible and able to wear many hats / take on multiple roles
- Interested and able to work in and with a multicultural, internationally distributed team.
- Be able to coordinate project resources; human, financial or otherwise to achieve desired project outcomes
- Have some understanding of health service provision/ public health systems/ community health
- Have strong conceptualization skills to understand programme and user needs and translate them into system design requirements
- Have good communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to pass on information clearly to users and teammates, and to grasp difficulties perceived by users
- Have demonstrated strong support disposition that establishes a good working relationship with teams, with the attitude of assistance and transfer know-how and experience to others
- Desire to make a social impact through innovative thinking and mobile technology.
Applicants should submit a cover letter that outlines your interest and experience and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Project Officer” in the subject line, with a copy to email@example.com. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible, as interviews will be held on a rolling basis until the role is filled. The ideal start date for this position is June 1st 2018.