Site Reliability Developer
Medic Mobile designs, delivers, and supports world-class software for health workers who provide care in the hardest-to-reach communities. Our software is free, open-source, and deployed at scale in the last mile of healthcare. Evidence-based workflows come together in the software to support health workers and families, helping to ensure safe deliveries, track outbreaks, treat illnesses at the doorstep, communicate about emergencies, and more. We envision a more just world in which health workers are supported as they provide care for their neighbors, universal health coverage is a reality, and health is secured as a human right.
By the end of 2017, Medic Mobile was supporting a network of more than 20,000 frontline health workers. In our next phase of growth, we are scaling through large partnerships and reaching out to health organizations with minimal resources. We aim to support health workers serving 100 million people between 2017 and 2021.
Our global team supports more than 60 partners across 23 countries, with offices in San Francisco, Nairobi, and Kathmandu. Medic Mobile brings a wide range of experience and creative solutions to complex problems, building and delivering technology that works for people who have been marginalized. We are searching for a Site Reliability Developer to contribute to our team, mission, and impact.
We’re seeking a talented and dedicated site reliability developer to join our distributed product team.
- Are at home in a UNIX-like environment, enjoy automation, script efficiently, and produce documentation for resulting systems, APIs, modules, and code.
- Have coursework or experience equivalent to an undergraduate computer science.
- Have detailed knowledge of AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM) and Elastic Container Service (ECS) APIs.
- Are comfortable with LXR and/or Docker, virtualization technologies, Nginx, Node.js, basic Linux system administration, monitoring, security, networking, and logging.
- Thrive working as part of a distributed team with a flexible schedule and well-defined on-call hours.
- Enjoy working remotely with opportunities to travel to project sites (e.g. India, Uganda, Senegal) or to work with teammates (e.g. San Francisco, Nepal, Kenya).
- Want to work on a team that improves lives in a real and significant way.
The Site Reliability Developer works closely with teammates to assure reliable quality deployments of all of Medic Mobile’s mobile health software tools.
Proactive performance monitoring, reliability: 40%
- Proactively monitor performance and reliability of production Medic Mobile systems.
- Produce status pages consumable by non-technical users.
- Automate deployments to increase testability and reliability.
System image engineering and deployment: 30%
- Work with the software development team to make management of production system images easier – containerization, coordination with upstream for low-level issues, automate deployments of medic-webapp and Medic OS.
Release management: 15%
- Work with Product Manager to manage iteration artifacts and prepare releases
- Work with deployment teams to manage and perform software and infrastructure updates.
- Participate in weekly iteration reviews, and monthly product planning
- Ensure that all software tools are ready for deployment
On-call response to production downtime: 10%
- Be available off-hours (to be determined, and subject to time zones of team members) to respond to, troubleshoot, remediate, and document unexpected outages and problems in production.
Strategic planning: 5%
- Work with the product team to guide platform development and technical strategy with regards to infrastructure.
- Work effectively, independently, and efficiently with peers, external partners, and other product stakeholders.
If this role inspires you, please get in touch. Send through a copy of your current CV, along with a cover letter, to email@example.com with the subject “Site Reliability Developer”. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis, and we aim to bring a new team member on board soon!
No recruiters or consulting firms, please.