Technical Lead (Asia)
Medic Mobile designs, delivers, and supports world-class software for health workers who provide care in the hardest-to-reach communities. Our software is free, open-source, and deployed at scale in the last mile of healthcare. Evidence-based workflows come together in the software to support health workers and families, helping to ensure safe deliveries, track outbreaks, treat illnesses at the doorstep, communicate about emergencies, and more. We envision a more just world in which health workers are supported as they provide care for their neighbors, universal health coverage is a reality, and health is secured as a human right.
By the end of 2017, Medic Mobile was supporting a network of more than 20,000 frontline health workers. In our next phase of growth, we are scaling through large partnerships and reaching out to health organizations with minimal resources. We aim to support health workers serving 100 million people between 2017 and 2021.
Our global team supports more than 60 partners across 23 countries, with offices in San Francisco, Nairobi, and Kathmandu. Medic Mobile brings a wide range of experience and creative solutions to complex problems, building and delivering technology that works for people who have been marginalized.
Role Description: Technical Lead
We are looking to immediately hire a Technical Lead, based in Kathmandu, Nepal. This position will expand our team’s ability to monitor and understand the way Medic Mobile tools are being used, and the impact our programs are having across deployments. This position will spearhead the implementation of a robust monitoring framework, primarily by writing complex database queries, and will also create dashboards for our internal teams consumption of data.
Are you passionate about global health and technology, working at the grassroots level, and collaborating with people from varied cultural, linguistic, and educational backgrounds? We'd love to hear from you!
Please treat the pre-requisite qualifications more as guidelines than as a non-negotiable checklist. We expect that you are a quick learner and equally quick to adapt to new and changing technologies. Our team is spread around the world, and we need someone who enjoys working virtually. Ideally, you are proactive, a strong written and verbal communicator, self-directed, self-motivated, and passionate about Medic Mobile's mission, and excited to join a dynamic, growing team.
Employment Status: Full Time Position
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Position Title: Technical Lead
Implementation of monitoring systems across Medic Mobile projects (65%):
- Work closely with members of Medic Mobile’s impact team and regional teams to build technical infrastructure and set up impact monitoring across all active deployments. We have designed a robust monitoring framework that helps us understand the use of our tools within health systems, and the impact health workers are having in their communities. Our goal is to roll out this framework for all Medic Mobile deployments, this will require a deep understanding of the metrics and variations in project configuration and design.
Build analytics products and dashboards for key projects (25%):
- Write PostgreSQL database queries and build dashboards for internal use of Medic Mobile project monitoring data, with a focus on actionable information to improve the support and ultimately impact of our programs. These dashboards will be used across teams at Medic Mobile, including operations, product, and strategy, to facilitate a deeper understanding of our deployments.
Other responsibilities (10%):
- Act as a resource and teammate to Technical Leads in Africa and Asia offices, providing support on the project monitoring process.
- Interface with Medic Mobile Product Team to establish new requirements and feature requests related to data accessibility
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Mathematics and 5+ years relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Candidates should (essential qualifications):
- Be a technology power user, excited to learn even more
- Be a citizen of Nepal, with a current valid passport.
- Be a strong communicator, fluency in English (essential)
- Be at ease working in diverse cultural settings
- Be able to travel within the region, both locally and internationally
- Be a strong problem solver
- Have the ability to collaborate with a distributed team on a self-directed work schedule
- Have 2+ years experience with relational databases, PostgreSQL or MySQL
- Have experience using command-line tools on Linux (preferred) or another UNIX-like operating system
- Be committed to frequent and timely communication, both in person and online (via email, Skype, Slack and other online chat applications)
- Have interest in working with and learning from a globally distributed team of mHealth technology experts.
- Have good communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to pass on information clearly to users and to grasp difficulties perceived by users
- Have a positive attitude that establishes a good working relationship with partners, with the attitude of wanting to assist people and pass-on their knowledge and experience to others
The ideal candidate will (additional skills):
- Be an expert with relational databases and have familiarity with document-based databases, and the map/reduce algorithm
- Have experience with SQL query optimization
- Be experienced in managing projects in the health and/or information technology sectors
- Have in interest in empowering community health workers and improving the health of remote and disconnected communities
- Have excellent technical knowledge of computer applications and systems.
- Have logical diagnostic skills and ability to exercise good judgement in the resolution of problems
- Have the ability to multi-task when dealing with several different problems at a time
- Have experience in design and development of technology solutions to increase international development project impact
- Have work experience with open source technology
- Be fluent in Nepali
- A minimum of 5+ years of senior level experience in designing and implementing ICT programs for social development programs
- Experience developing successful, replicable and sustainable projects
- Expertise in research to practice – identifying best practices and adapting them to program realities
- A team player accustomed to building capacity and developing communities of learning with both internal and external stakeholders
If this role inspires and intrigues you, please get in touch. Send an email with subject line: “Technical Lead - Impact” and a copy of your current resume, along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org copying, email@example.com by February 26, 2018. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible, as interviews will be held on a rolling basis until the role is filled. The ideal start date for this position will be mid- March, 2018.