Technical Lead (East Africa)
Medic Mobile builds mobile and web tools for health workers, helping them provide better care that reaches everyone. Operating as a unique, nonprofit technology company, we develop free and open-source tools that can be adapted for specific uses, backed by evidence. Health workers currently use Medic Mobile to register every pregnancy, immunize infants against illnesses, track disease outbreaks faster, keep stock of essential medicines, and communicate about emergencies. Medic Mobile works with implementing partners to deploy projects that leverage mHealth to impact health from the community level upwards.
Medic Mobile is growing! We have an opening for the following position, and would like to invite applications from qualified candidates.
Technical Lead (East Africa)
We are looking to immediately hire a Technical Lead to assist our partners in implementing Medic tools to be based in either Nairobi, Kenya or Kampala, Uganda with 20% travel in Africa.
Are you passionate about global health and technology, working at the grassroots level, and collaborating with people from varied cultural, linguistic, and educational backgrounds? We'd love to hear from you.
Please treat the pre-requisite qualifications more as guidelines than as non-negotiable checklist. We believe that the technologies, work environments, and approaches to global health and development you've experienced in the past, and have mastered in-depth will be useful to further build Medic’s tools and technology. We expect that you are a quick learner and equally quick to adapt to new and changing technologies.
Our team is spread around the world, and we need someone who enjoys working virtually. Ideally, you are proactive, a strong written and verbal communicator, self-directed, self-motivated, committed and passionate about Medic Mobile's mission, and excited to join a dynamic, growing team.
Employment Status: Full Time, permanent position
Location: Nairobi, Kenya or Kampala, Uganda
Position Title: Technical Lead
Reports to: Africa Senior Tech Lead
a) Manage Project Technical Configuration: Work independently and partner with project managers to write technical scope of work, support service design, configure and customize communication technologies and data visualization dashboards to meet Partners’ health programme requirements, create user manuals, deploy and train on technologies managing project timelines and monitor usage of the technologies.
b) Spearhead Analytics Platform Management for Africa: Maintain a growing library of dashboards and interactive data visualizations within the Medic Mobile Analytics platform. Train team members and partners to use Medic Mobile Analytics, and communicate best practices. Work with designers and project managers to ensure that dashboard designs are feasible and building upon past work. Be available to other teammates who may be building dashboards, to maintain best practices and quality. Manage project timelines, monitor usage of the platform, and track user licenses for invoicing purposes.
c) Support Product Development: Work with Medic Mobile’s designers to describe mHealth needs and opportunities in your region and to ensure these needs are addressed in Medic Mobile’s current tool kit or product roadmap.
d) Post Deployment Product Support: Support end users and stakeholders (internal and external) on any arising technology issues/bugs working alongside tech support team to resolve or escalate to other tech teams and follow up to resolution.
e) Support in proposal writing, publications, present Medic Mobile in meeting, seminar, summits & forums when called upon to do so.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering or Mathematics and 5+ years relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Candidates should (essential qualifications):
- Be a technology power user, excited to learn even more
- Be a strong communicator, proficiency in English (Essential)
- Be at ease working in diverse cultural settings
- Be able to travel within the region, both locally and internationally
- Be a strong problem solver
- Have experience with relational databases, Postgres and MySQL
- Have experience in Scripting languages Appscript/Shell/Awk
- Have experience with data analysis and data visualization languages R/Matlab/Python
- Have experience using command-line tools on Linux (preferred) or another UNIX-like operating system.
- Be committed to frequent and timely communication, both in person and online (via email, Internet Relay Chat, and other online chat applications).
- Have interest in working with and learning from a globally distributed team of mHealth technology experts.
- Have good communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to pass on information clearly to users and to grasp difficulties perceived by users.
- Strong customer service orientation that establishes a good working relationship with customers, with the attitude of wanting to assist people and pass-on their knowledge and experience to others.
- Ability to work under high pressure, meet deadlines, monitor and follow-up on pending matters under minimum supervision.
The ideal candidate will (additional skills):
- Be familiar with Android SDK, relational databases, document-based databases, and the map/reduce algorithm.
- Be experienced in managing projects in the health and/or information technology sectors
- Have a strong background in mHealth and public health; be ambitious about empowering community health workers and improving the health of remote and disconnected communities.
- Ability to identify commonly recurring requests for assistance and provide advice on how these can be prevented or minimised, through training, user awareness, and changes in configuration.
- Excellent technical knowledge of computer applications and systems.
- Good logical diagnostic skills and ability to exercise good judgement in the resolution of problems.
- Ability to multi-task in dealing with several different problems at a time.
- Significant experience in design and development of technology solutions to increase international development project impact.
- Project work experience with open source technology.
- A minimum of 5+ years of senior level experience in designing and implementing ICT programs for social development programs.
- Experience developing successful, replicable and sustainable projects.
- Expertise in research to practice – identifying best practices and adapting them to program realities.
- A team player accustomed to building team capacity and developing communities of learning among host country partners and counterparts.
If this role inspires and intrigues you, please get in touch. Send an email with subject line: “Technical Lead - East Africa” and a copy of your current resume, along with a cover letter to Richard at email@example.com, copying firstname.lastname@example.org by 28th February 2017. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible, as interviews will be held on a rolling basis until the role is filled.