Impact Specialist (North America)
Medic Mobile is a 501(c)(3) public charity that was founded in 2010 to improve health in communities that are hardest to reach. We serve this mission by building, delivering, and supporting software that helps community health workers, managers, and clinical teams work together to provide equitable care. Our offices in Nairobi, Kathmandu, and San Francisco and over 90 staff support a network of partners and more than 24,000 health workers across health systems delivering care for millions of families. Advancing the core objective of universal health coverage and securing health as a human right, Medic Mobile strives to improve health for people who are poorest and most marginalized.
Medic Mobile brings a wide range of experience and creative solutions to complex problems, building and delivering technology that works for people who have been marginalized. Our software is free, open-source, and deployed at scale in the last mile of healthcare. Evidence-based workflows come together in the software to support health workers and families, helping to ensure safe deliveries, track outbreaks, treat illnesses at the doorstep, communicate about emergencies, and more. We envision a more just world in which health workers are supported as they provide care for their neighbors, universal health coverage is a reality, and health is secured as a human right.
As Impact Specialist, you will support our team to better understand and have confidence in the interventions and tools that we develop, from prototyping through to scale. You will draw on public health and human-centered design principles to craft and execute technical analysis plans. This role joins the impact team and works closely with teammates across Medic Mobile, including several cities on the East and West Coast, USA, in East and West Africa, and South Asia.
- Employment Status: Full-time
- Location: North America - ideal locations include DC, Boston, or San Francisco but other locations will be considered
- Position Title: Impact Specialist
- Report to: Director of Impact
Position Details and Responsibilities
Data Analysis to support our innovation process and product development (50%)
- Work with teammates from Africa and Global offices to identify learning goals and key questions for each phase of the project iteration cycle
- Formulate and execute end-to-end analysis plans to answer these questions
- Document and disseminate results to relevant teammates, including through data visualizations, report writing, presentations, etc.
- Use quantitative findings to support designers in developing site visit and user research plans, and to inform recommendations on improvements to interventions and/or Medic’s products
Strategic analysis (40%)
- conduct targeted and exploratory data analysis on strategic projects and questions across the organization; lasting 1-6 months these analyses will range from exploring health system or policy questions, implementations of health worker workflows across contexts and regions, new product features, etc.
- communicate findings through data visualization and reports
Impact Team responsibilities (10%)
- Participate in joint Impact team projects and calls
- Contribute to conversations and work on improving data infrastructure, including interfacing with the Medic Mobile Product Team to establish new requirements and feature requests related to data accessibility
- Act as a champion for creating a data-driven culture focused on increasing the impact of our interventions
- Represent Medic Mobile at select conferences
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree with a focus in public health, mathematics, epidemiology or other relevant disciplines
- 2+ years of relevant work experience
- General love of data and excitement for data-driven decision making
- Diverse data analysis and data visualization experience
- Familiarity with relational databases such as PostgreSQL
- Experience with statistical analysis in Stata, SPSS, or R
- Ability to work under high pressure, meet deadlines, monitor and follow-up on pending matters with minimal supervision
- Ability to collaborate with a distributed team on a self-directed work schedule
- Exhibit empathy and respect for other cultures
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; able to tell a compelling story, built on data
- Excited to get to know our end users, including community health workers
- Solutions-oriented approach to challenges
- Detail oriented
- Fluent in English; other language skills a plus
- The ability and openness to travel up to 10% time, with simple accommodations, to Medic Mobile’s regional offices in Nairobi, Dakar, Kampala, and Kathmandu (and in some cases, to partner sites across Africa and Asia)
- A flexible working schedule to enable coordination among remote contributors, teammates, and offices, which will likely include early morning or late evening hours
- Must have or be able to obtain a current, valid passport
Ideal applicants will have:
- Prototyping and design experience
- Qualitative research experience
- Work in global health and/or community health systems, with field experience in low-income countries
If this role inspires and intrigues you, please submit a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Impact Specialist” in the subject line. Applications without all components will not be considered. We hope to fill this position quickly and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.