Project Technologist (West Africa)
Medic Mobile designs, delivers, and supports world-class software for health workers who provide care in the hardest-to-reach communities. Our software is free, open-source, and deployed at scale in the last mile of healthcare. Evidence-based workflows come together in the software to support health workers and families, helping to ensure safe deliveries, track outbreaks, treat illnesses at the doorstep, communicate about emergencies, and more. We envision a more just world in which health workers are supported as they provide care for their neighbors, universal health coverage is a reality, and health is secured as a human right.
By the end of 2018, Medic Mobile aims to be supporting a network of more than 25,000 frontline health workers. In our next phase of growth, we are scaling through large partnerships with Ministries of Health and Model Building Partners, while also reaching out to community health organizations with minimal resources working in our sectors of interest. We aim to support health workers serving 100 million people between 2017 and 2021.
Our global team supports more than 60 partners across 23 countries, with offices in San Francisco, Nairobi, and Kathmandu. Medic Mobile brings a wide range of experience and creative solutions to complex problems, building and delivering technology that works for people who have been marginalized. We are searching for a Project Technologist to contribute to our team, mission, and impact.
Africa Region - Project Technologist
- Employment Status: Full Time
- Location: Dakar, Senegal
- Position Title: Project Technologist
- Report to: Africa Senior Tech Lead
Position Details and Responsibilities
Medic Mobile is growing! We have an opening for a talented software engineer, developer or architect to join Medic Mobile’s Innovation Team. The Innovation Network team carries out research and development projects on a 1-5 year timescale, to create successful and innovative experiences on new technologies such as non-invasive diagnostics, smartphone enabled testing, growth monitoring, and biometrics. The Innovation Network will act as the staging ground to identify, inform, and test high potential technologies.
As a Project Technologist you will be responsible for research and development projects; either small projects that stand alone, or parts of larger projects where you will work to a project leader. These projects may deliver hardware or software systems, technical standards, or research knowledge. You will also be required to provide technical advice and consultancy within your own field of expertise.
You may be involved in any of the stages of a project, from feasibility studies through to implementation and delivery to the business. You’ll have every opportunity to develop your skills and see your ideas through to completion, very often into operational service.
The Ideal Candidate
- Be a strong communicator in English (Essential)
- Demonstrable experience in developing software - previous jobs or internships.
- Demonstrable ability to identify, refine and resolve important and transformational problems and research questions in cutting-edge technology; using inventiveness, creativity and technical development work of the highest quality.
- Ability and enthusiasm for developing your own original solutions and approaches to technical challenges, in additional to experience of working effectively in a team.
- Demonstrable interest in user interface and interaction technology.
- EITHER A Bachelor degree (upper second class or higher/Master 1) or Masters (Master 2) in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, Physics or similar relevant science or engineering subject.
- OR (for candidates from an unconventional technical background) Equivalent relevant technical knowledge and expertise obtained through contribution to appropriate technical projects in scientific, engineering or creative fields.
If this role inspires and intrigues you, please get in touch. Please send an email with subject line: “Africa Region - Project Technologist” and a copy of your current resume, along with a cover letter to email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible, as interviews will be held on a rolling basis until the role is filled. Ideal start date is in July 2018.