Technical Lead (Kenya)
Medic Mobile is growing! Are you passionate about global health and technology, working at the grassroots level, and collaborating with people from varied cultural, linguistic, and educational backgrounds? We'd love to hear from you. We have an opening for the following position, and would like to invite applications from qualified candidates.
Technical Lead (Innovations)
We are looking to immediately hire a Technical Lead to assist our partners in implementing Medic tools to be based in Nairobi, Kenya with 50% travel in Africa.
Please treat the pre-requisite qualifications more as guidelines than as a non-negotiable checklist. Our team is spread around the world, and we need someone who enjoys working virtually and with a diverse team.
- Employment Status: Full Time
- Location: Nairobi, Kenya
- Position Title: R & D Technical Lead.
- Report to: Africa Senior Tech Lead
We believe that the technologies, work environments, and approaches to global health and development you've experienced in the past, and have mastered in-depth will be useful to further build Medic’s tools and technology. We expect that you are a quick learner and equally quick to adapt to new and changing technologies. Ideally, you are proactive, a strong written and verbal communicator, self-directed, self-motivated, committed and passionate about Medic Mobile's mission, and excited to join a dynamic, growing team
- Manage project technical configuration: Work independently and with project managers to write technical scope of work, support service design, configure and customize communication technologies and data visualization dashboards to meet partner health program requirements. Collaborate with project team to create user manuals, deploy and train on technologies, assist with managing of project timelines specific to tech and monitor tech usage.
- Assure on-time delivery of new product, and also collecting, validating, analyzing and archiving all product data management information.
- Collaborate with internal teams - design, product development, strategic sourcing, planning and others - to ensure a unified and sustainable new product development channel.
- Lead implementation of engineering initiatives, configurations and prototyping to improve the new product development process and outputs.
- Support product development: Work with internal team of designers to describe mHealth needs and opportunities in the region to ensure these needs are addressed in Medic Mobile’s current tool kit or product roadmap.
- Represent Medic Mobile: Support in proposal writing, publications and presenting Medic Mobile in meetings and events when called upon to do so.
Education and Qualifications:
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or Statistics and 5+ years relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Have legal work permits for Kenya
- Be a technology power user, excited to learn even more
- Be a strong communicator, proficiency in English (Essential)
- Research, Analyze, Design, Document, Develop and Deploy: Data driven analytics; event driven analytics + Automated analytic software, techniques, and algorithms
- Determine user needs; analyze system capabilities to resolve problems on program intent, output requirements, input data acquisition, programming techniques and controls
- Diagnose problems, troubleshoot, and develop technical solutions to a range of technical issues
- Design, develop, document, test, and debug software and mathematical solutions to mission problems
- Apply appropriate standards, processes, procedures, and tools throughout the development life cycle
- Confer with technical leads, systems analysts, engineers, programmers and others to design system and to obtain information on project limitations and capabilities, performance requirements and interfaces
- Correct program errors, prepare operating instructions, compile documentation of program development, and analyze system capabilities to resolve questions of program intent, output requirements, input data acquisition, programming techniques, and controls
- Analyze user needs and software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints
- Offer expertise regarding methods, standards and technical considerations for software applications
- Assist with developing and executing test procedures for software components.
- Have experience with relational and non-relational databases e.g PostgreSQL, MySQL, CouchDB, PouchDB and MongoDB.
- Have experience in scripting languages (Appscript/Shell/Awk)
- Have experience using command-line tools on Linux (preferred) or another UNIX-like operating system.
- Have interest in working with and learning from a globally distributed team of mHealth technology experts.
- Have good communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to pass on information clearly to users and to grasp difficulties perceived by users.
- Have a strong customer service orientation that establishes a good working relationship with customers, with the attitude of wanting to assist people and pass-on their knowledge and experience to others.
- Have the ability to work under high pressure, meet deadlines, monitor and follow-up on pending matters under minimum supervision.
The ideal candidate will
- Be familiar with Android SDK, relational databases, document-based databases, and the map/reduce algorithm.
- Be experienced in managing projects in the health and/or information technology sectors
- Have a strong background in mHealth and public health; be ambitious about empowering community health workers and improving the health of remote and disconnected communities.
- Be able to identify commonly recurring requests for assistance and provide advice on how these can be prevented or minimised, through training, user awareness, and changes in configuration.
- Have excellent technical knowledge of computer applications and systems.
- Show good logical diagnostic skills and ability to exercise good judgement in the resolution of problems.
- Have the ability to multi-task in dealing with several different problems at a time.
- Have significant experience in design and development of technology solutions to increase international development project impact.
- Have project work experience with open source technologies.
- A minimum of 5+ years of senior level experience in designing and implementing ICT programs for social development programs.
- Experience developing successful, replicable and sustainable projects.
- Expertise in research to practice – identifying best practices and adapting them to program realities.
- A team player accustomed to building team capacity and developing communities of learning among host country partners and counterparts.
If this role inspires and intrigues you, please get in touch. Please submit a resume and cover letter with Technical Lead (Innovations) - Kenya in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org, with a copy to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible, as interviews will be held on a rolling basis until the role is filled. Ideal start date is early June.