Tech Lead (Asia) - 2 Openings
Medic Mobile builds mobile and web tools for health workers, helping them provide better care that reaches everyone. Operating as a unique, nonprofit technology company, we develop free and open-source tools that can be adapted for specific uses, backed by evidence. Health workers currently use Medic Mobile to register every pregnancy, immunize infants against illnesses, track disease outbreaks faster, keep stock of essential medicines, and communicate about emergencies. Medic Mobile has worked with over 60 partners across 23 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the US. Based in San Francisco with regional offices in Africa and Asia, our technology supports over 14,000 frontline health workers, improving health systems for over 8 million people.
Medic Mobile is growing! We have an opening for the following positions, and would like to invite applications from qualified candidates.
We are looking to immediately hire two Technical Leads to assist our partners in implementing Medic Mobile tools to be based in either Nepal, India or Indonesia with 20% travel in Asia.
Are you passionate about global health and technology, working at the grassroots level, and collaborating with people from varied cultural, linguistic, and educational backgrounds? We'd love to hear from you!
Please treat the pre-requisite qualifications more as guidelines than as a non-negotiable checklist. We expect that you are a quick learner and equally quick to adapt to new and changing technologies. Our team is spread around the world, and we need someone who enjoys working virtually. Ideally, you are proactive, a strong written and verbal communicator, self-directed, self-motivated, and passionate about Medic Mobile's mission, and excited to join a dynamic, growing team.
- Employment Status: Full Time position
- Location: Kathmandu, Nepal; Mumbai, India; or Indonesia
- Position Title: Tech Lead, Asia
a) Manage Project Technical Configuration: Work independently and closely with the project managers to write technical scopes of work, support service design, configure and customize communication technologies and data visualization dashboards to meet our partners’ health programme requirements, create user manuals, deploy and train on technologies ,while managing project timelines and monitoring usage.
b) Spearhead Analytics Platform Management for Asia: Maintain a growing library of dashboards and interactive data visualizations within the Medic Mobile Analytics platform. Train team members and partners to use Medic Mobile Analytics, and communicate best practices. Work with designers and project managers to ensure that dashboard designs are feasible and building upon past work. Be available to other teammates who may be building dashboards, to maintain best practices and quality. Manage project timelines, monitor usage of the platform, and track user licenses for invoicing purposes.
c) Support Product Development: Work with Medic Mobile’s designers to describe mHealth needs and opportunities in your region and to ensure these needs are addressed in Medic Mobile’s current tool kit or product roadmap.
d) Post Deployment Product Support: Support end users and stakeholders (internal and external) on any technology issues/bugs working alongside our product support team to resolve or escalate and follow up to resolution.
e) Support in proposal writing, publications, represent Medic Mobile in meetings, seminars, summits & forums when appropriate.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Mathematics and 5+ years relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Candidates should (essential qualifications):
- Be a technology power user, excited to learn even more. Be a citizen of Nepal, Indonesia or India with a current valid passport.
- Be a strong communicator, proficiency in English (essential)
- Be at ease working in diverse cultural settings
- Be able to travel within the region, both locally and internationally
- Be a strong problem solver
- Have proficiency in at least one programming language
- Have experience with relational databases, Postgres and MySQL
- Have experience using command-line tools on Linux (preferred) or another UNIX-like operating system
- Be committed to frequent and timely communication, both in person and online (via email, Skype, Slack and other online chat applications)
- Have interest in working with and learning from a globally distributed team of mHealth technology experts.
- Have good communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to pass on information clearly to users and to grasp difficulties perceived by users
- Positive attitude that establishes a good working relationship with partners, with the attitude of wanting to assist people and pass-on their knowledge and experience to others
- Ability to work under high pressure, meet deadlines, monitor and follow-up on pending matters under minimum supervision
The ideal candidate will (additional skills):
- Be familiar with Android SDK, relational databases, document-based databases, and the map/reduce algorithmBe experienced in managing projects in the health and/or information technology sectors
- Have a strong background in mHealth and public health; be ambitious about empowering community health workers and improving the health of remote and disconnected communities
- Ability to identify frequently recurring requests for assistance and provide advice on how these can be prevented or minimised, through training, user awareness, and changes in configuration.
- Excellent technical knowledge of computer applications and systems.
- Logical diagnostic skills and ability to exercise good judgement in the resolution of problems
- Ability to multi-task when dealing with several different problems at a time
- Significant experience in design and development of technology solutions to increase international development project impact
- Work experience with open source technology
- Fluent in Nepali, Bahasa Indonesia and/or Hindi
- A minimum of 5+ years of senior level experience in designing and implementing ICT programs for social development programs
- Experience developing successful, replicable and sustainable projects
- Expertise in research to practice – identifying best practices and adapting them to program realities
- A team player accustomed to building capacity and developing communities of learning with both internal and external stakeholders
If this role inspires and intrigues you, please get in touch. Send an email with subject line: “Technical Lead - Asia” and a copy of your current resume, along with a cover letter to Bishwas at firstname.lastname@example.org, copying email@example.com by August 31, 2017. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible, as interviews will be held on a rolling basis until the role is filled.