Tech Lead (Uganda)
Medic Mobile is growing! We have an opening for the following position, and would like to invite applications from qualified candidates.
We are looking to immediately hire a Technical Lead to assist our partners in implementing Medic tools. Are you passionate about global health and technology, working at the grassroots level, and collaborating with people from varied cultural, linguistic, and educational backgrounds? We'd love to hear from you.
- Position Title: Technical Lead - Africa Region
- Employment Status: Full time, contract
- Language: Excellent spoken and written English
- Location: Kampala, Uganda
- Report to: Africa Senior Tech Lead
- Travel: 20%
Please treat the pre-requisite qualifications more as guidelines than as non-negotiable checklist.
We believe that the technologies, work environments, and approaches to global health and development you've experienced in the past, and have mastered in-depth will be useful to further build Medic’s tools and technology. We expect that you are a quick learner and equally quick to adapt to new and changing technologies.
Our team is spread around the world and we need someone who enjoys working virtually and with remote teams.
Ideally, you are proactive, a strong written and verbal communicator, self-directed, self-motivated, committed and passionate about Medic Mobile's mission, and excited to join a dynamic, growing team.
- Manage Project Technical Configuration: Work independently and partner with project managers to write technical scope of work, support service design, configure and customize communication technologies and data visualization dashboards to meet Partners’ health program requirements, create user manuals, deploy and train on technologies managing project timelines and monitor usage of the technologies.
- Spearhead Analytics Platform Management for Africa: Maintain a growing library of dashboards and interactive data visualizations within the Medic Mobile Analytics platform. Train team members and partners to use Medic Mobile Analytics, and communicate best practices. Work with designers and project managers to ensure that dashboard designs are feasible and building upon past work. Be available to other teammates who may be building dashboards, to maintain best practices and quality. Manage project timelines, monitor usage of the platform, and track user licenses for invoicing purposes.
- Support Product Development: Work with Medic Mobile’s designers to describe mHealth needs and opportunities in your region and to ensure these needs are addressed in Medic Mobile’s current tool kit or product roadmap.
- Post Deployment Product Support: Support end users and stakeholders (internal and external) on any arising technology issues/bugs working alongside tech support team to resolve or escalate to other tech teams and follow up to resolution.
- Support in proposal writing, publications, representing Medic Mobile in meetings, seminars, summits & forums when called upon to do so (presentation skills).
Desired Education, Skill & Experience
The ideal candidate will:
- Be based in Uganda and/or have legal work permits for Uganda. Uganda nationals will be given priority
- Have Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering or Mathematics and 5+ years relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Have experience with relational databases, Postgres and MySQL
- Have experience in Scripting languages Appscript/Shell/Awk
- Have experience with data analysis and data visualization languages R/Matlab/Python
- Have expertise in research to practice – identifying best practices and adapting them to program realities.
- Candidates should have the following personal work ethics (essential qualifications):
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to pass on information clearly to users and to grasp difficulties perceived by users.
- Commitment to frequent and timely communication, both in person and online (via email, Internet Relay Chat, and other online chat applications).
- Interest in working with and learning from a globally distributed team of diverse cultural settings
- Strong problem solver with good logical diagnostic skills and ability to exercise good judgement in the resolution of problems
- Ability to multi-task in dealing with several different problems at a time.
- Strong customer service orientation that establishes a good working relationship with customers, with the attitude of wanting to assist people and pass-on their knowledge and experience to others.
- Ability to work under high pressure, meet deadlines, monitor and follow-up on pending matters under minimum supervision.
If this role inspires and intrigues you, please send your cover letter and detailed CV to email@example.com with a copy (cc) to firstname.lastname@example.org marking the subject as “2951, Your Full name & Phone number" e.g. 2951 Barack Obama, +2567xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not be accepted.
We will be interviewing on a rolling basis. The ideal start date for this position is early September.