Technical Lead (West Africa)
Medic Mobile builds mobile and web tools for health workers, helping them provide better care that reaches everyone. Operating as a unique, nonprofit technology company, we develop free and open-source tools that can be adapted for specific uses, backed by evidence. Health workers currently use Medic Mobile to register every pregnancy, immunize infants against illnesses, track disease outbreaks faster, keep stock of essential medicines, and communicate about emergencies. Medic Mobile works with implementing partners to deploy projects that leverage mHealth to impact health from the community level upwards.
Medic Mobile is growing! We have an opening for the following position, and would like to invite applications from qualified candidates.
Africa Region - Technical Lead
We are looking to immediately hire a Technical Lead to assist our partners in implementing Medic tools to be based in Dakar, Senegal with 50% travel in Africa.
With our partner Living Goods and Gates ITS, we are launching a groundbreaking new partnership to catalyze innovation at the intersection of technology and community health. This will be a first of its kind Community Health Innovation Network to research, test, and prove the viability of community-based technical innovations that can generate systemic breakthroughs in how healthcare is delivered in the developing world. New technologies such as non-invasive diagnostics, smartphone enabled testing, growth monitoring, and biometrics show immense potential to transform healthcare delivery, but it is not enough to examine them as hypotheticals in a controlled lab; we must test, refine, and iterate them in the real world, in real time. The Innovation Network will act as the staging ground to identify, inform, and test high potential technologies.
Are you passionate about global health and technology innovations, working at the grassroots level, and collaborating with people from varied cultural, linguistic, and educational backgrounds? We'd love to hear from you
Employment Status: Full Time
Location: Dakar, Senegal
Position Title: Technical Lead
Report to: Africa Senior Tech Lead
Manage Project Technical Configuration: Work independently and partner with project managers to write technical scope of work, support service design, configure and customize communication technologies and data visualization dashboards to meet Partners’ health programme requirements, create user manuals, deploy and train on technologies managing project timelines and monitor usage of the technologies.
Assure on-time delivery of new product development. Collect, validate, analyze, apply and archive all product data management information. Collaborate with Design, Product Development, Strategic Sourcing, Planning and others to ensure a unified and sustainable new product development channel. Lead implementation of engineering initiatives, configurations and prototyping to improve the new product development process and its outputs.
Support Product Development: Work with Medic Mobile’s designers to describe mHealth needs and opportunities in your region and to ensure these needs are addressed in Medic Mobile’s current tool kit or product roadmap.
Support in proposal writing, publications, present Medic Mobile in meeting, seminar, summits & forums when called upon to do so.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or Statistics and 5+ years relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Be a technology power user, excited to learn even more
- Be a strong communicator, proficiency in English (Essential)
- Research, Analyze, Design, Document, Develop and Deploy: Automated analytic software, techniques, and algorithms
- Data driven analytics; event driven analytics
- Determine user needs; analyze system capabilities to resolve problems on program intent, output requirements, input data acquisition, programming techniques and controls
- Diagnose problems, troubleshoot, and develop technical solutions to a range of technical issues
- Design, develop, document, test, and debug software and mathematical solutions to mission problems
- Apply appropriate standards, processes, procedures, and tools throughout the development life cycle
- Confer with technical leads, systems analysts, engineers, programmers and others to design system and to obtain information on project limitations and capabilities, performance requirements and interfaces
- Correct program errors, prepare operating instructions, compile documentation of program development, and analyze system capabilities to resolve questions of program intent, output requirements, input data acquisition, programming techniques, and controls
- Analyze user needs and software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints
- Offer expertise regarding methods, standards and technical considerations for software applications
- Assist with developing and executing test procedures for software components.
- Have experience with relational and non-relational databases e.g PostgreSQL, MySQL, CouchDB, PouchDB and MongoDB.
- Have experience in Scripting languages Appscript/Shell/Awk
- Have experience using command-line tools on Linux (preferred) or another UNIX-like operating system.
- Have interest in working with and learning from a globally distributed team of mHealth technology experts.
- Have good communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to pass on information clearly to users and to grasp difficulties perceived by users.
- Have a strong customer service orientation that establishes a good working relationship with customers, with the attitude of wanting to assist people and pass-on their knowledge and experience to others.
- Have the ability to work under high pressure, meet deadlines, monitor and follow-up on pending matters under minimum supervision.
The ideal candidate will (additional skills):
- Be familiar with Android SDK, relational databases, document-based databases, and the map/reduce algorithm.
- Be experienced in managing projects in the health and/or information technology sectors
- Have a strong background in mHealth and public health; be ambitious about empowering community health workers and improving the health of remote and disconnected communities.
- Ability to identify commonly recurring requests for assistance and provide advice on how these can be prevented or minimised, through training, user awareness, and changes in configuration.
- Excellent technical knowledge of computer applications and systems.
- Good logical diagnostic skills and ability to exercise good judgement in the resolution of problems.
- Ability to multi-task in dealing with several different problems at a time.
- Significant experience in design and development of technology solutions to increase international development project impact.
- Project work experience with open source technologies.
- A minimum of 5+ years of senior level experience in designing and implementing ICT programs for social development programs.
- Experience developing successful, replicable and sustainable projects.
- Expertise in research to practice – identifying best practices and adapting them to program realities.
- A team player accustomed to building team capacity and developing communities of learning among host country partners and counterparts.
If this role inspires and intrigues you, please get in touch. Please send an email with subject line: “Africa Region - Technical Lead (Innovations)” and a copy of your current resume, along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible, as interviews will be held on a rolling basis until the role is filled. Ideal start date is in early January 2018.