Technical Support Officer (Asia)
Medic Mobile builds mobile and web tools for health workers, helping them provide better care that reaches everyone. Operating as a unique, nonprofit technology company, we develop free and open-source tools that can be adapted for specific uses, backed by evidence. Health workers currently use Medic Mobile to register every pregnancy, immunize infants against illnesses, track disease outbreaks faster, keep stock of essential medicines, and communicate about emergencies. Medic Mobile has worked with over 60 partners across 23 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the US. Based in San Francisco with regional offices in Africa and Asia, our technology supports over 20,000 frontline health workers, improving health systems for over 8 million people.
Medic Mobile is growing! We have an opening for the following position, and would like to invite applications from qualified candidates.
We are looking to immediately hire a Technical Support Officer to assist our partners in implementing Medic Mobile tools to be based in Nepal with up to 20% travel in the country.
Are you passionate about global health and technology, working at the grassroots level, and collaborating with people from varied cultural, linguistic, and educational backgrounds? We'd love to hear from you!
Please treat the pre-requisite qualifications more as guidelines than as a non-negotiable checklist. We expect that you are a quick learner and equally quick to adapt to new and changing technologies. Ideally, you are proactive, a strong written and verbal communicator, self-directed, self-motivated, and passionate about Medic Mobile's mission, and excited to join a dynamic, growing team.
Employment Status: Full-time for a minimum of one year
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Position Title: Technical Support Officer
Reporting to: Project Technical Lead
a) Assist in Project Technical Configuration: Work closely with the Project Tech Leads and Project Managers and assist in configuring and customizing communication technologies and data visualization dashboards to meet our partners’ health program requirements and troubleshoot problems while helping to meet the project timelines.
b) Post Deployment Product Support: Support end users and stakeholders (internal and external) on technology issues/bugs working alongside our product support team to resolve or escalate in a timely manner.
c) Testing and Monitoring projects: Perform rigorous testing of platforms and monitor deployed Medic Mobile projects in Asia region.
d) Research: Research new areas of improvements to the existing technologies being used in the organization and explore better alternatives.
e) Adhoc Tech Support: Provide technical support to the deployment team as needed including writing data queries and any other duties as assigned.
Candidates are required to have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- Have at least 1 year of experience in designing and implementing ICT programs for social development programs
- Be a technology power user, excited to learn even more
- Be a citizen of Nepal with a current valid passport
- Be a strong communicator, proficiency in spoken and written English (essential)
- Be at ease working in diverse cultural settings
- Be able to travel within the region, both locally and internationally
- Be a strong problem solver
- Have experience with relational databases, Postgres and MySQL
- Have experience using command-line tools on Linux (preferred) or another UNIX-like operating system
- Be committed to frequent and timely communication, both in person and online (via email, Skype, Slack and other online communication platforms)
- Have interest in working with and learning from a globally distributed team of mHealth technology experts
- Have good communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to pass on information clearly to users and to grasp difficulties perceived by users
- Have a positive, partner-oriented attitude that establishes a good working relationship with teammates and partners, and a willingness to assist and support people and pass on their knowledge and experience to others
- Ability to work under high pressure, meet deadlines, and be proactive and function independently under minimum supervision
- A team player accustomed to building capacity and developing communities of learning with both internal and external stakeholders
The ideal candidate will also have these additional skills:
- Be familiar with Android SDK, document-based databases, and the map/reduce algorithm
- Have some experience in managing projects in the health and/or information technology sectors
- Have some background in mHealth and public health; be passionate about empowering community health workers and improving the health of remote and disconnected communities
- Ability to identify frequently recurring requests for assistance and provide advice on how these can be prevented or minimised, through training, user awareness, and changes in configuration
- Excellent technical knowledge of computer applications and systems.
- Logical diagnostic skills and ability to exercise good judgement in the resolution of problems
- Ability to multitask when dealing with several different problems at a time
- Significant experience in design and development of technology solutions to increase international development project impact
- Work experience with open source technology
- Fluent in Nepali
If this role inspires and intrigues you, please get in touch. Send an email with subject line: “Technical Support Officer - Asia” and a copy of your current resume, cover letter and a brief writing sample (no more than 2 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org, copying email@example.com by July 30, 2018. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible, as interviews will be held on a rolling basis until the role is filled. The ideal start date for this position will be August 1, 2018.